Print/DIGITAL/Video JOURNALIST, author, and Editor
LIVING IN: Lexington, Kentucky, with husband Christopher, one dog, and two horses.
PASSIONATE ABOUT: My interests include general-interest historical topics, reviving forgotten stories and voices, natural history, veterinary science and the One Health Initiative, marine life, and seabirds. I also love off-the-wall stories, curiosities, quirky characters, and distinctive voices; nonfiction; digital and video technology and how they enable great storytelling; and how to sustain an eco-friendly rural lifestyle. Storytelling, in words and images.
- Princeton University. A.B. English literature, concentration in creative writing.
- Trinity College Dublin, 1988-1989. Junior year abroad, studied Anglo-Irish literature.
- Joseph B. Thomas: An American Sportsman (Rowman & Littlefield, winter 2018)
- The Iroquois Hunt: A Bluegrass Foxhunting Tradition (Arcadia Press, 2014)
- Champions: The Lives, Times, and Past Performances of the 20th Century’s Greatest Thoroughbreds (DRF Press, 2000)
Author of The Home Run Horse: Inside America’s Billion-Dollar Racehorse Industry and the High-Stakes Dreams that Fuel It (DRF Press, 2004).
Writing and/or video has appeared on National Public Radio’s “The Two-Way,” Veterinary Information Network News Service, ESPN.com, US Equestrian magazine, Daily Racing Form, and numerous other publications and sites.
- Currently senior content editor at the non-profit US Equestrian, the national governing body for equestrian sport in the United States. Duties include
- serving as editor-in-chief and production manager for US Equestrian, the organization's membership magazine, which mails four print editions to US Equestrian's 126,000 members (111,000 households) and produces a fifth digital-only edition
- serving as original content producer and editor for US Equestrian's weekly email newsletter, Equestrian Weekly, which goes out to more than 170,000 subscribers each week
- working directly with veterinarians and subject matter experts to produce regular educational stories that translate scientific and technical information into easy-to-use material for a general equestrian audience
- working closely with US Equestrian's 21 affiliated equine breed and equestrian sport organizations to identify and produce relevant original content packages that enhance or promote their respective breeds and sports within US Equestrian's larger strategy (to provide access to and increase participation in equestrian sports at all levels through inspiration and education, and by ensuring fairness, safety, and enjoyment)
- editing membership communications for content, accuracy, consistency of organizational voice and style, and ease of use for reader
- providing editorial leadership, writing, interviewing, copyediting, and contracting with various writers, photographers, and stakeholders
- Former senior editor at The Chronicle of the Horse and editor of The Chronicle of the Horse's Untacked magazine.
- Freelance from September 2013 to May 2016. Client list included
- 1999-2013 Daily Racing Form's senior bloodstock correspondent
- Feb. 2012 "Night Watch" video featured on NPR.org's The Two-Way Blog
- Author of narrative nonfiction book The Home Run Horse (DRF Press, 2004)
- Work has appeared on ESPN.com, DRF.com, BloodHorse.com, and in a variety of publications
- Previously the editor of Equine Athlete and the news and features editor at Thoroughbred Times.
- 2012 Eclipse Award - Audio/Multimedia
- 2009 John H. Daniels Fellow at the National Sporting Library
- 1999 Kent Hollingsworth Award for Excellence in Reporting
- 1997 Bill Leggett Breeders' Cup Magazine Writing Award
RADIO AND TELEVISION APPEARANCES:
"The Gamble," a Science Times documentary about genetics in Thoroughbred breeding that aired on the National Geographic channel. Regular guest on "At the Races with Steve Byk," Thoroughbred racing's best-known daily radio news show (Thoroughbred Racing Radio Network, Sirius XM Satellite Radio) and on HRTV, The Network for Horse Sports.
- National Sporting Library, Middleburg, Va., May 2015: "Historic Houndophiles." See release here.
- Keeneland Library Lecture Series, Lexington, Ky., April 2015: "The Iroquois Hunt: A Bluegrass Foxhunting Tradition." See release here.
- Jack Jouett House, Versailles, Ky., June 2015: "The Thoroughbred in Early Kentucky." See release here.
- University of Kentucky Equine Programs Advisory Committee member
- Retired Racehorse Project board member, 2014-2015.
- Clear Creek Beagles member
- Hound Welfare Fund - Co-founder and executive committee member