Author and Print/Video Journalist
Living in: Lexington, Kentucky, with husband Christopher, one dog, and two horses.
Passionate about: Natural history, veterinary science, the animal world, and general-interest historical topics. Horses and hounds. Off-the-wall stories, quirky characters, distinctive voices. Nonfiction. Sustaining an eco-friendly rural lifestyle. Storytelling, in words and images.
Education: Princeton University, 1986-1990. A.B. English literature, concentration in creative writing. Trinity College Dublin, 1988-1989. Junior year abroad, studied Anglo-Irish literature.
Radio and Television appearances:
Regular guest on "At the Races with Steve Byk," Thoroughbred racing's best-known daily radio news show (Thoroughbred Racing Radio Network, Sirius XM Satellite Radio) and on HRTV, The Network for Horse Sports. Appearances also include "The Gamble," a Science Times documentary about genetics in Thoroughbred breeding that aired on the National Geographic channel on November 13, 2001.
- National Sporting Library, Middleburg, Va., May 2015: "Historic Houndophiles." See release here.
- Keeneland Library Lecture Series, Lexington, Ky., April 2015: "The Iroquois Hunt: A Bluegrass Foxhunting Tradition." See release here.
- Jack Jouett House, Versailles, Ky., June 2015: "The Thoroughbred in Early Kentucky." See release here.
- Currently senior content editor at US Equestrian, the national governing body for equestrian sport in the United States.
- Former senior editor at The Chronicle of the Horse and editor of The Chronicle of the Horse's Untacked magazine.
- Freelance from September 2013 to May 2016. Client list included
- 1999-2013 Daily Racing Form's senior bloodstock correspondent
- Feb. 2012 "Night Watch" video featured on NPR.org's The Two-Way Blog
- Author of narrative nonfiction book The Home Run Horse (DRF Press, 2004)
- Work has appeared on ESPN.com, DRF.com, BloodHorse.com, and in a variety of publications
- Previously the editor of Equine Athlete and the news and features editor at Thoroughbred Times.
- 2012 Eclipse Award - Audio/Multimedia
- 2009 John H. Daniels Fellow at the National Sporting Library
- 1999 Kent Hollingsworth Award for Excellence in Reporting
- 1997 Bill Leggett Breeders' Cup Magazine Writing Award
- University of Kentucky Equine Programs Advisory Committee member
- Retired Racehorse Project board member, 2014-2015.
- Clear Creek Beagles member
- Hound Welfare Fund - Co-founder and executive committee member